I am so happy to bring you this chapter 🤗, I always try to make sure I share my secrets 🤫 and tips on what Iʼve learned along the way, and whats a better way to do so, then to put it in writing 📝?
Now I am no expert 🙅🏻♀️, and I want you to remember that I am more of a doer then a thinker 💡, so I jumped into my business out of nowhere with no prior research. I donʼt recommend it but everyone has their own path 🏃🏻♀️ am I right?
So that brings me to number one:
1. Lists 📋 - I canʼt stress how important it is to make yourself some lists. I donʼt care what kind, you probably need all the kinds. I like to make a to do list when I start out on a large project, especially if it has something to do with my website 💻. I also have lists for orders, so I am organized when I pack up envelopes 📦. I also have a white board with lists of all sorts: Shopping lists, blog ideas, newsletter ideas, website plans, inventory ideas. Like I said, lists are important and totally my favorite thing to do is make lists. But remember to actually follow through with them so donʼt overwhelm yourself when you start out.
2. Track your Journey 📒✏️ - I keep a journal, Its pink and has a diamond 💎 on it, and I like to keep track of all the important stuff I do with Touch Of A Feather, so one day when I look back I remember what a bad ass 💁🏻♀️ I was and all the stuff I had to do to make my dreams come true 🙌🏻. I donʼt write in it as often as I should, but I do it at least every couple of months to track the big stuff, or to remind myself that hey sometimes breaks are necessary but you got back on that horse 👍🏻. So keep a journal and trust me you will thank me.
3. Organize 🗄 - Now I know that creativity comes from chaos 🌪, but nobody ever said that it couldnʼt be organized chaos. I tend to get messy, now let me paint you a picture : shoebox of a bedroom, purple walls, 2 dressers, foldable table and about a billion containers. Now this is my workspace, half the time
I am sitting on my bed working, so what do I need to do? Organize 🙌🏻, I make sure everything has its designated spot, otherwise I would just want to rip out all my hair and laugh uncontrollably on the floor 🤡. So Shelby has to keep things clean to keep her mind clear, therefore we have a bad ass shop filled with wonderful creations because I keep things organized 👌🏻.
4. Believe in Yourself 💪🏻 - I donʼt care if you have the whole state of Louisiana on your side telling you that you can do this, 👉🏻YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE WHO CAN KEEP YOU GOING!👈🏻 You need to believe that every morning when you get out of bed you can be the best version of you 💃🏻, and that you are a bad ass boss bitch and you can do anything your mind is set to. I believe in you! But do you believe in you?
5. Donʼt be a Quitter 🙅🏻♀️ - Have you guys seen that movie A Cinderella Story with Hilary Duff? I love the quote thats on the wall in her fathers diner 💕 “Donʼt let the fear of striking you out keep you from playing the game ⚾️” I canʼt tell you how many times I say that to myself! Donʼt quit, put inspirational quotes all over your wall, send yourself inspirational texts 📲 or whatever you need to keep yourself going. Because in the end what youʼre doing TOTALLY matters, so donʼt forget that. You started for a reason, and you need to keep going because you owe it to yourself to see whats on the other side of this really large mountain 🏔 called success. So fix your crown 👑 and keep going 🔜 !
6. Customer Friendships 👭- I love getting to know my customers, whenever I do a custom necklace, that is usually when I get to talk to the most interesting people. I have made so many friends 💕 through discussing what kind of crystal 💎 they need in their life. How lucky ☘️ am I? You can be just as lucky, just make sure to be polite 🙏🏻, friendly 🙋🏻♀️, and listen 👂🏻 to your customer, they are what keeps your business going so you need to make sure that you keep that relationship good and happy 😊.
7. Tell Everyone 📣 - I donʼt care if you are at the gas station in some random little town, you tell someone that you are in this business and blah blah blah, you know the speech. Put your business cards wherever you can, on bulletin boards 🔖 or even ask business owners if you can leave some cards out. Donʼt be afraid to network. I know itʼs scary 💀, and I only do minimal amounts because I am shy 🙈 and wait for that right moment to pipe 🐭 in about my business. But seriously we need to do it to get our names out there, so whoʼs with me 🙋🏻♀️🙋🏻♀️🙋🏻♀️!?
8. Supplies Shopping 🛍 - This is important you want to make sure that you can have a reliable suppliers for whatever it is you need 🙌🏻. I have two different crystal shops that I go to locally, incase one is closed or doesnʼt have what I need. I have about 5 different people I shop through from India for my Cabochons for the fancy pendants. I have a super cheap seller for my bubble mailers because you can never have too many, so order lots 👍🏻! and as for my wire I have two ✌🏻 different websites I go through because I have different quality needs. So make sure to take the time to do the research 👀 and figure out how much it costs 💰 per item to create, and ship 📭 plus your cost of time ⏰, and make sure its something you can sell. Everything takes planning once you jump in, so make sure you make your lists 🗒!
9. Quality vs. Quantity 🔮 - Now before you get me wrong and you go to eBay and start finding the cheapest supplies possible. Remember you want your customers to come back, just because you donʼt have a lot of money 💵 right now doesnʼt mean you canʼt expand later on. So start with a simple item to make, and get the most cost effective supplies as you can find. Trust me, you want your customers to tell you everything holds up well 👍🏻, even years later🙏🏻.
10. Shipping - The most evil word 😈 in the english language, just kidding 😂. Shipping can be difficult because every weight seems to be different 🤷🏻♀️, not to mention different countries can confuse you 🤪. Donʼt play a guessing game, take the time to go down to a local post office and ask some questions so you can get an idea on what to expect. USPS.com has a ton of flat rate boxes and labels and forms that are free and will be shipped straight to your home for you to use. So take advantage of that and check it 👀 out. Also something to consider is printing your own shipping labels at home, it saves you time and money. but mostly money. The shipping rates through PayPal are cheaper then if you go directly to the post office. I personally have to send them out by hand because I am one of those people that live under a rock 😂 and donʼt have wifi. So once again do some research 👩🏻💻 and figure out what works the best for you and your needs.
So like I said I am no expert but I have much knowledge 🙏🏻 on this topic considering I have been running my own shop for 3 years now. So I hope I can help someone out there who needs a little guidance 🙌🏻.
If you are a fellow shop, what tips do you have for some of the aspiring Girl Bosses, Comment Below 👇🏻👇🏻👇🏻
Next week I will talk to you a bit about your website and where you should sell your goodies, and by goodies I mean your items 😅.